advertiser disclosure title
Online Casinos Are Safe
Responsible gaming is an incredibly important issue. Although gambling is a leisure activity, without proper boundaries and restrictions, it can have adverse effects. Accordingly, it’s only sensible to play responsibly and understand how the industry works in order to better protect yourself from the risks involved in gambling.
Responsible gaming is made up of many parts, and each plays an important role in creating a more fun, safe and healthy gaming experience.
It’s important to bear in mind that online casinos aren’t unsafe or dangerous places themselves. Most online casinos take their responsibilities seriously and work hard to develop secure, compliant and safe gaming experiences for their players.
How Casinos Are Regulated?
The gaming industry in Canada is a highly important source of revenue for local and national governments, not to mention a great source of entertainment for its customers.
However, this isn’t without its challenges, and in fact, online gaming in canada is moving to become much more regulated – within itself and by the government. Most of the industry is regulated throughout the provinces, and is also coordinated (to an extent) with national government.
Generally speaking, online gaming is legal in Canada. Online casinos wanting to accept Canadian players must register with the provinces they operate in. For example, you could find that certain online casinos will not allow Canadians to access their sites. This is typically because those online casinos have not registered with their relevant provincial authorities.
Each province has its own laws relating to various gaming activities. The exception to this is horse racing which is under federal, not provincial, jurisdiction. With the rise of online gambling, many provinces are also trying to regulate horse racing themselves.
The provinces of British Columbia, Québec, Ontario and Manitoba have already legalized most forms of online gambling. However, even those licensed gambling operators can only allow residents of other provinces to play if their province allows them to do so. Generally, offshore companies don’t accept Canadian players, there have been examples of offshore gambling operators with valid gambling licenses, who have taken on Canadian players.
Even though this makes it seem like the Canadian gaming industry is pretty complicated, it’s only because it’s moving towards a much more standardized and regulated system, which will only benefit Canadian players more.
Avoid Rogue Casinos
While it’s important to understand how online casinos are regulated in Canada, you also need to know how those rogue casinos operate outside of the law. They’re often highly reckless, and don’t protect their players.
You should always make sure that the online casino you’ve chosen is appropriately licensed and takes responsible gaming seriously.
Gambling Is Addictive
Every player needs to know the telltale signs that their gambling may be interfering with their daily lives, or has become addictive.
These are just a few of the signs that you may need to seek professional help:
- Your gambling is interfering with your work or other responsibilities;
- You are betting more money than you can afford to lose;
- You have borrowed money or sold some of your belongings in order to raise money to gamble;
- You have continued gambling in the hope that you can make up for previous gambling losses;
- You are gambling as a way to distract yourself from difficulties you have, or because you are feeling bored;
- Your gambling may have caused health problems such as anxiety or depression; or
- Your gambling has caused financial difficulties for your family.
Online gambling is definitely exciting, but even so, you need to be sensible about how you play. If you feel that online gaming is beginning to affect your life in negative ways, you can seek help from organizations like Responsible Gambling. You can also do this if you recognize these warning signs in someone you care about.
The Role of Responsible Casinos
Casinos play an important role in promoting responsible gaming and we, at Blackjack Canada, takes this seriously too.
We make a big effort to create a safe and responsible gaming environment for our players. Our staff are trained to recognize the signs that gambling has become an issue and to take action to help our players.
Some of the measures we’ve adopted include –
- Putting spending limits on casino accounts;
- Regular time-out periods;
- Making sure players can limit how and where they play;
- 24/7 customer support services;
- Extra tools to help players manage their gaming; and
- Providing links to responsible gaming organizations and help.
We also ensure that we are, at all times, compliant with the law and industry’s best practices. This includes complying with the self-regulation standards outlined by eCOGRA designed to achieve the objectives of player protection, fair gaming and responsible conduct by operators like us.
Responsible Gaming Tips
Even though gambling is a fun, leisure activity for people over the age of 18, it can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of it and act in an irresponsible way.
There are a few things you can do to make your online gambling experience safer.
- Firstly, don’t think of gambling as a way for you to make money, as most players will lose when they play. The odds simply are not in your favor. The majority of people with gambling problems believe that they are in the small minority of players who will be big winners, which is usually unrealistic.
- It is a good idea to budget for your gambling activities. Use money that you can afford to lose. This may be money that you set aside to go to the movies or go out for drinks, but you should never gamble with money that you need to pay for the important things like rent, education and food.
- Risk is a central part of gambling and you should always be careful not to go over your personal limits when you’re trying to recover money that you’ve lost along the way.
- Decide how much money you want to spend, set firm limits and stick to these. You should also set time limits for how long you’ll be playing and make sure that you take frequent breaks.
- Another important tip is not to gamble when you are feeling depressed or upset. Gambling and alcohol are also usually not a good combination.
Please contact us if you have any questions. We are here to help you 24/7.